Palmerston Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 8BN

    Appointments: 01782 627 403
    Enquiries, Emergencies & Visits: 01782 627 488

    Urgent Problems & Out of Hours

    Life Threatening Emergencies

    In a life-threatening emergency such as sudden severe chest pain, severe breathlessness, loss of power in a limb, loss of consciousness or severe bleeding dial 999.

    Top of Page


    The surgery is equipped to treat minor injuries like small cuts and joint sprains. If the injury is more severe or may involve a broken bone then you should attend the Accident & Emergency (A&E) Department at the following hospital:

    Royal Stoke University Hospital. Tel: 01782 715444.

    Minor Injuries and a range of illnesses can also be treated at the following Minor Injury Units and Walk-In Centres:

    Haywood Hospital MIU. Tel: 01782 673500.

    Hanley Health and Wellbeing Walk-in Centre. Tel: 0300 123 6759

    Midway Medical and Walk-in Centre. Tel: 01782 663757

    Also in the event of poisoning or overdose the attend A&E

    Top of Page

    Urgent Problems during Surgery Hours

    Please call 01782 627403 as soon as possible during our surgery opening hours.

    The receptionist will need to take some details about the problem and arrangements will be made for you to be seen by the doctor as soon as possible.

    Top of Page

    Urgent Problems when we are Closed

    If you have an urgent medical problem outside normal surgery hours  (our opening times can be found here), and you need help fast, but it is not life threatening - CALL 111 - Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

    NHS 111

    What to do when my Medical Practice is closed:

    • If you need medical help fast but it’s not an emergency call 111
    • If it’s a life-threatening emergency call 999

    NHS 111 is the number to call when you need medical help fast but it’s not a life-threatening emergency.

    • Calls to 111 are FREE from landlines and mobiles
    • NHS 111 is available 24/7, every day of the year

    When to call 111

    • You think you need to go to A&E or to another NHS urgent care service
    • The surgery is closed and you need healthcare advice
    • You don’t know who to call for medical help

    When to all 999

    • Call 999 for life-threatening emergencies such as:
    • Major accident or trauma
    • Severe breathlessness
    • Severe bleeding
    • Loss of consciousness
    • Severe chest pain

    During normal practice opening hours the practice remains your first point of contact for all routine requests.

    More information about NHS 111 can be obtained from NHS choices at

    Please only visit the A&E department if it is an emergency.

    Top of Page

    Minor Injury Unit

    Your local Minor Injury Unit (MIU) can treat a wide variety of problems. These include cuts and grazes, dog bites, sprains and strains, minor head injuries and minor burns and emergency contraception. If you have a minor illness like a cold or flu, earache, sore throat, a rash or urine infection - your MIU can help.

    Haywood Hospital MIU

    High Lane, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 7AG

    Tel: 01782 673500


    Open 7.00am –10.00pm weekdays; 9.00am – 10.00pm weekends and bank holidays.

    Top of Page

    Walk in Centres

    Offering same day and pre-bookable appointments for a range of minor illnesses and injuries without an appointment:

    Hanley Health and Wellbeing Walk-in Centre

    69-71 Stafford Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 1LW

    Tel: 0300 123 6759


    Open 8.00am - 8.00pm, 7 days a week

    Midway Medical and Walk-in Centre

    Morston House, The Midway, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST55 1QG

    Tel: 01782 66 37 57

    Open 8.00am - 8.00pm, 7 days a week